Tuesday 27 December 2016

Who Am I?

Welcome dear reader, to Judging From Exile.

Who Am I?

My name is Jason, and I am currently a Level 2 certified Magic Judge living in a small town a couple hours north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  I'm pretty isolated up here, with the closest Magic store being located in the tiny town of Elmvale (read: a population of 2,400 people), that is a solid 25 minute drive from where I live.  The biggest source of excitement in Elmvale would be their yearly "Maple Syrup Festival", which should give you an idea of just how perfectly Canadian this little out-of-the-way location is.

If you are reading this, it is likely that you are already somewhat familiar with the game Magic: The Gathering, a game that has come to not only change my life, but in fact has had profound changes on who I am as a person.   I am looking forward to sharing both my experiences as a (terrible) Magic player and as a (reasonable) Magic Judge with you, so that together we can explore the incredible personal journey that I have been on, one that I am in fact still enjoying to this day.

Where do we go from here?

I've played in 8-man tournaments (the smallest events possible), and judged in Magic Grand Prix with 2000+ players from all corners of the globe.  In this blog I'll be telling some interesting stories about how I got from one end of the spectrum to the other, I will talk in depth about what it took for me to eventually become a judge when there was no one in my area to help me - "the struggle!", I will go over some of the key skills that I feel can help turn an okay judge into a great one, and we will take a look at everything else related to both playing and judging Magic.

I'll even answer some rules questions from time to time 😉

Until next time, thanks for joining me on my Path To Exile.

-JVM



No comments:

Post a Comment